Sad as it may seem, summer is almost over and unfortunately, you have to prepare for the significant drop in temperatures and get back to the habit of spending more time indoors. Although you will miss the warm summer days, the light clothes and the nice evenings spent on the patio, you still have time to make some nice memories and do things you have always wanted to.
Of course, the lack of time will always pose a setback, but do your best to fit some fun activities in your busy schedule. Here are a few nice ideas you should consider:
- If you have a beautiful garden, you can use the last summer days to take care of the plants and prepare them for the lower temperatures and the rainy days. There are some projects you can do on your own, but if you don’t have the necessary tools or you are afraid of causing a damage to your plants, you’d better opt for professional gardening services. Yet, it would not hurt to sweep the patio, take the patio furniture back to the basement or winterise the pool.
- At the end of the summer, most people take up a thorough deep cleaning project. If you are not particularly keen on scrubbing and sanitising, arrange cleaners to do that for you. Don’t underestimate the importance of the deep cleaning, though. It might not be the most enjoyable activity, but you will regret neglecting it when the weather gets nasty and you have to spend most of your free time indoors. Involve your family and turn the end-of-summer cleaning into a fun game!
- No matter if you do the deep cleaning or you hire professionals, clearing out the house from unnecessary stuff is recommended. If you have some pieces of furniture or electronics you no longer use you can get rid of them and even earn some money. Yard sales are an excellent method for socialising as well. You might be surprised to find out that the people living two blocks away are actually pretty cool neighbours.
- Unlock your imagination and do some arts and crafts. Even if you are not the most creative person on Earth, you can visit a store where cute souvenirs and labels are available and choose the one(s) that would help you make it through the cold days. If the seaside is what you will miss most, you can hang beautiful sea-themed wallpaper on the wall or a canvas printing that says: “Life is better at the beach”.
- Go out with friends or invite them to an end-of-the-summer party. Make sure you throw the party before the deep cleaning or you risk having your house messy once again.
- Autumn is undoubtedly a fascinating season that offers us a plethora of beautiful shades only Mother Nature can create. If you want to enjoy the beautiful landscapes, make a trip to the countryside. Living in the big city has its advantages, but it does not ensure many places where you can enjoy tranquillity and greenery.
- The end of the summer is the perfect time to enjoy a cup of homemade lemonade. You don’t need to be a master chef to prepare a refreshing drink. You need a few lemons, ice, some honey and a blender. You can substitute the lemons with oranges or grapefruits. Add a couple of mint leaves for a fresh accent.
- Speaking of fruits, what do you think about apple picking? It is a fun activity and the best of all is that the whole family can take part in.
- It goes without saying that if you are keen on photography, the end of the summer is the perfect time to take some beautiful shots. Take a long walk and find a place that reveals the beauty of nature in all its shades. At this time of the year the sunsets are known to be exceptionally beautiful – take your time and make the perfect shot!
- Think about the hobbies you have abandoned in the past. Don’t you think it is a good idea to start attending swimming lessons? Did you read all the books you have included in your list? Are you still keen on collecting stamps/ coins/ dolls/ old pieces of electronics? Do you have the skills to give the old furniture a new life and add a vintage notch to the living room?
As you can see, the end of the summer does not mean you have to spend the next couple of months hibernating. On the contrary, being active and having your mind occupied with positive thoughts will help you deal with the cold weather easier. It goes without saying that the gloomy rainy days can be depressing and the frozen windshield frustrating, but the good news is that the spring will arrive soon. Meanwhile, you will get a chance to meet old friends and family and spend some quality time together on Christmas, not to mention the exciting road trips you can make in the autumn.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 at 1:40 pm and is filed under Life Issues. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.